Monday, December 15, 2008

Lakshmi Wanigasinghe

Let’s take a leaf out of the book of a dedicated teacher

Lakshmi Wanigasinghe

Lakshmi Wanigasinghe, a dedicated teacher of Anula Vidyalaya, Nugegoda for well over 30 years, passed away on November 9, 2008. The charismatic figure with simple but noble qualities touched the hearts of her students, colleagues, friends and relatives.

She led an exemplary life, and looked after her family in the most loving manner. My brother, Colonel W. M. Wanigasinghe (retired), was lucky to have been blessed with a wife of that calibre. She groomed her children – three boys and one girl – exceptionally well, giving them guidance beyond measure to ensure they were well placed in life.

It was a pity she could not much share the happiness of her eldest grand-daughter, Sashikala Wanigasinghe, when she was appointed a prefect at Visakha Vidyalaya. The credit undoubtedly goes to Lakshmi.

As a sister-in-law, Lakshmi meant much to me, and many were the times I had to count on her. I recall how she comforted me when I lost my loving husband 16 years ago. Her mental stability, gained through her high spirituality, helped dispel the darkness I was facing. Her demise is a great blow to me.

I had the privilege of joining her in a few of her many philanthropic activities, such as helping needy students.

According to her wishes, her remains were handed over to the Medical College at a simple ceremony. She never wanted to cause an iota of inconvenience to anybody. May she be born in a blissful state.

Malini Kumarasinghe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home